Vacancy Support

If an employee is leaving their position

In an effort to provide supervisors and departments with a smooth transition when they have an employee leaving a position (transferring to another position within WWU), resigning (Leaving WWU), or retiring, Human Resources has put together the following checklist to keep the process as simple as possible.  

  • Obtain resignation or retirement letter from the employee
  • Create and route a Personnel Action Form (PA) to end the employee’s position
    • Attach a copy of the resignation letter to the PA
  • Send original resignation letter to MS 9054 for the employee’s personnel file
  • Complete the Check Out Form and route appropriately
    • Note: This can either be initiated by the employee or the department
  • Recommend that employee meet with the Benefits Staff if they have any questions or concerns about their transition
  • Is this employee a Payroll Approver?  If so, run NWRAPPR in Banner to see who they are set up to approve time sheets for and complete a Request to Change Payroll Approver form to assign a new Payroll Approver
  • Encourage your employee to complete the Job Documentation Tool to support your department during the personnel transition.
  • Is this employee leaving Western? If so, we have helpful information on our website to help in their transition. Once the term PA has been processed in HR, the employee will be invited to complete our confidential Exit Interview Questionnaire. For additional information, please feel free to contact Human Resources at ext. 3774.

Throughout the transition process, it is important to keep in mind that if you are considering combining positions or reorganizing within your department that you contact the Employee Labor and Relations Team prior to the recruitment process. This will expedite the recruitment process for you from the stage of submitting to posting.

  • Confirm the Check Out Form is complete and all departments have contacted the employee to resolve any outstanding items
  • Confirm that the employee has returned all WWU property
  • Human Resources will coordinate EAP services based upon your needs.
  • Communicate with your staff.
  • Remember to provide self-care. What can HR do for you?

Tips for Supporting Grieving Employees
How to Listen to Someone Who is Hurting