Attention Supervisors of Volunteers at Western:

Supervisors are strongly encouraged to register all in-person volunteers with HR. Please follow instructions below in the supervisors steps section. Please email any questions to volunteer@wwu.edu

Volunteer Registration Program

Departments who desire to take on a volunteer to provide a service on behalf of the university are strongly encouraged to register the volunteer with Human Resources to ensure they have limited worker’s compensation and liability coverage. To qualify, volunteers must meet the definition as described by law (RCW 51.12.035)

Page Contents 


Criminal Background Checks for Volunteers

Volunteers who will be performing security sensitive duties are required to have a criminal conviction verification conducted (see Procedures and Forms/Supervisor section below). Department heads may also request a background check for other volunteer positions at their discretion.

Limited Worker’s Compensation Coverage for Volunteers

Only volunteers registered with the Volunteer Program are covered by the state Industrial Insurance Code which provides limited medical aid benefits in the event the volunteer suffers injury or death while performing volunteer services for the University. Should a volunteer sustain injury while performing services for the University, the required procedure for reporting the injury and processing of a state Industrial Insurance claim is the same as for employees.

Liability Coverage for Volunteers

Registered volunteers are protected under Washington State’s Self-Insurance Liability Program for defense and settlement of tort liability claims arising from their negligent actions while acting within the scope of their authorized volunteer duties.


When permitted by their supervisor, registered volunteers may drive a University vehicle after completing WWU’s Basic Driver Safety Program and Large Passenger Van Training (if applicable). Supervisors must review and complete the state requirements for driver safety.

Volunteer Parking Permit

Volunteers may be provided a guest parking permit by their hosting department. Departments may purchase a guest permit through the Parking Portal. More information is provided on Parking Services website.

Procedures and Forms

Supervisor's Steps:

  1. Complete Section 1 of the Volunteer Application 

    Some Volunteers are Mandatory Reporters of Hazing Incidents.
    University volunteers who will have ongoing direct contact with students in a supervisory role or position of authority are required to report suspected hazing incidents.
    To ensure such volunteers understand what constitutes hazing and how to report, they are required to review the Hazing Awareness trainingSee also the Preventing and Responding to Incidents of Hazing Policy.
  2. Send to volunteer:
    1. WWU affiliates (current students, staff or faculty): Send Volunteer Application to volunteer so they can complete section 2
    2. Community members (no Western login): Send Volunteer Acknowledgement form to volunteer to complete. Please use this information to complete section 2 on the volunteer's behalf AND attach the document to the Volunteer Application esign form.
  3. Complete the Security Sensitive Position Assessment to determine if volunteer needs a criminal background check completed.
  4. Provide volunteer with the Criminal Conviction Verification Form  (CCV) (if applicable).
  5. If the volunteer will be driving a University vehicle:
  6.  Send completed application, Security Sensitive Position Assessment and CCV (if applicable) to HR at volunteer@wwu.edu
    • *Be sure to include the Volunteer Acknowledge form, if needed (see step 2)
  7. Purchase parking permit through the Parking Portal or visit the Parking Services website for more information
  8. Send the Volunteer Time Sheet for volunteer to complete and submit to you for approval at the end of each pay month
  9. Send time sheets to volunteer@wwu.edu at the end of each month

    If your volunteer needs a Western ID # (W#) and a Western email setup to access University systems or perform their volunteer duties, please follow the steps below:
    • Register Volunteer:  Volunteer and Supervisor complete Volunteer application form and any other forms required by department (background check form, acknowledgement form if needed) as noted in steps above.
    • Request W# and Western email: Supervisor submits a PA Form (choose the Job Class option: N1 Non-Employee, No Salary, and add "Volunteer setup for W# and email" in the comments section) as well as an Employee Information form to HRIS@wwu.edu. This will generate the W# and Western email address.
      • For Volunteers who already have a W#, please submit a PA form only.
  10. If your volunteer needs access to Banner, please follow the steps below:

    • Request Banner Login: Once the required forms have been completed as noted in step 10, (Volunteer application form(s), PA Form and Employee Information forms), the supervisor can submit a Banner login request for the volunteer via the Banner Login Request form.

    • Request Banner Access: Once a Banner login has been approved, the Supervisor will need to submit a Banner access request form.  This form can be found in the Administrative Forms listing. There are Banner access forms setup for specific departments. If you do not see a Banner access form for your area please contact HRIS at HRIS@wwu.edu to confirm which form to use.

If you have any questions regarding the steps/process, please feel free to contact HR at Volunteer@wwu.edu, or 360-650-3774. For questions regarding the noted esign forms please contact our HRIS group at HRIS@wwu.edu.

Reporting Requirements

Reporting Volunteer Hours

All departments with registered volunteers must provide the number of service hours for submittal to the Department of Labor and Industries for medial aid benefits and premium assessments.

  • Volunteer Hourly Time Record – Departments are responsible for completing the Volunteer Hourly Time Record form and submitting it to Human Resources at the end of each pay period

Reporting Volunteer Injuries

Should a volunteer sustain injury while performing services for the University, the required procedure for reporting the injury and processing of state Industrial Insurance claims is the same as for employees.

  1. Volunteer completes WWU Accidental Injury/Occupational Illness Report
  2. If medical treatment is required,
    1. Volunteer and attending physician complete the standard State of Washington Department of Labor & Industries, Accident Report form (the form is available through physician or hospital).
    2. The injured person should indicate on the form that he/she is a “volunteer” and enter -0- under wages earned.
    3. The form is then submitted by the physician/hospital or volunteer to WWU Human Resources where it is logged and forwarded to the Department for completion.  (The class number for Volunteers is 69-1.)
    4. The section completed by the Department is sent back to Human Resources and is then forwarded to the Department of Labor & Industries for their records and handling.  A copy of the report form is maintained by Human Resources.
    5. Human Resources will notify the Risk Management Office of any claims submitted by volunteers.
    6. NOTE: Volunteer Industrial Insurance benefits cover medical costs only.

WWU Students as Volunteers


For questions about the volunteer program call Human Resources at 360-650-3774 or email volunteer@wwu.edu.

For questions about medical and liability coverage, call Environmental Health & Safety at 360-650-3064.