Providing Relocation Compensation

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is eligible to receive relocation compensation?
All permanent positions are now eligible to receive relocation compensation however, the new hire must be moving from a distance greater than 100 miles from their WWU official work location based on the address of their residence at the time of offer.

Relocation compensation may be provided to temporary and project hires with VP or President's approval. See policy #2.

2. What are the payment options for relocation compensation?
The University provides relocation compensation in the form of a lump sum payment issued through payroll. Contracted services and reimbursements are no longer provided. This was a change made in 2019 following changes in federal tax rules. See policy #6.

3. How do we determine the amount to offer for relocation compensation?
Departments must follow the Standards for Determining the Amount of a Relocation Compensation Payment which includes a link to an online calculator. See policy #3.

4. Does a hiring authority need to get approval to provide relocation compensation?
Relocation compensation must be included in the letter of offer for employment; therefore, it will be approved via PageUp by the proper authorities along with the position and salary offer. Human Resources will assist departments in drafting the letter of offer to include relocation compensation. See policy #4.

5. When can new hires expect to receive the payment?
The earliest date payment may be issued is with the new hire's first regularly scheduled paycheck. See policy #6.

6. Do hires have to provide proof of the move?
No, however, proof may be required under some circumstances such as if the new hire works remotely. See policy #2.

7. Can we provide a house hunting allowance in addition to the relocation compensation?
House hunting allowances are included in the policy's definition of relocation compensation so departments may consider both for their offer. There are separate calculators and guidelines/restrictions to determine amounts for both. See the Standards for Determining the Amount of a Relocation Compensation Payment. See policy #3.

8. What if a new hire quits after receiving the relocation compensation payment?
The law allows the University to seek re-payment from the new hire if they resign or are terminated before completing a year of employment with some exceptions. The letter of offer must include a statement about this provision. See policy #5.