Pregnancy & Parenting Support
Child and Family Studies (Childbirth preparation, Newborn Care, Breastfeeding and Parenting classes): BTC offers supportive, non-biased information on birthing, with the goal of presenting labor as a normal body process and offering you the most comprehensive information for a more fulfilling birthing experience. With short or longer childbirth courses, BTC aims to help you make informed, healthy choices as you prepare to have a child. The learning continues after your baby is born with BTC Parenting and Family Connections classes for infants and toddlers, and discussion classes for families of all ages. These classes offer a safe, inviting, relaxed atmosphere where you can meet other parents and caregivers, build relationships and find answers to parenting questions.
For over 25 years the Whatcom County Pregnancy Clinic has been dedicated to educating, equipping, and empowering individuals and families facing an unplanned pregnancy. They offer a compassionate and confidential environment for patients to be heard and to receive accurate information and medical care. All services are free.
- Pregnancy Services
- STI Testing- free testing for men and women.
- Education- variety of evidence-based education programs to help learn more about pregnancy, labor and delivery, infant first-aid, and much more. Earn While You Learn and Childbirth education coming soon.
- Support Groups- Looking to find community and support during the difficult times? They offer a safe place where you can share your story and gain compassionate support. Mother Support Group, Arms of Love, and Restoring a Man’s Heart.
For Men -
- STD Testing
- Earn While You Learn for Fathers/Partners
- Restoring a Man’s Heart
Cloth diaper loaner bank for low income families with children birth to 3 years. Families qualify if they receive any form of government assistance, including apple health for kids.
Brigid Collins is a commitment-based organization causing the end of child abuse. For 25 years, they’ve been on the cutting edge of healing children and building strong families with resources for every family. Programs include:
- Parenting Education
- Parent Child Interaction Therapy
- Just in Time Parenting Newsletter
- Familia Latina
- Parent-Child Assistance Program (PCAP)
- Parents as Teachers (PAT)
- Kinship Caregiver Support Program
- Incredible Years
- Promoting First Relationships
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
Sign up for a free parenting newsletter (ages 0-3)
The Opportunity Council is a private, non-profit Community Action Agency serving homeless and low-income families and individuals. Their mission is to help people improve their lives through education, support, and direct assistance while advocating for just and equitable communities. For 50 years, they have offered a broad scope of services that range from addressing immediate and crisis-oriented needs (food, emergency shelter, eviction prevention) to longer-term programs that promote self-sufficiency in our community (early childhood education, home weatherization).
Child Care Resources include:
- Child Care Aware of NW Washington
- Child Care Nutrition Program
- Emergency Child Care Voucher
- Kinship Care
- Kaleidoscope Play and Learn Groups
- Single Entry Access to Services (SEAS)
- Early Support for Infants and Toddlers
- ASL Services
Other resources for Preschool and education include
- Early Head Start
WFCN's mission is to build the capacity of communities and organization in Whatcom county to support children, youth, and families so that they can develop the skills and opportunities they need to lead healthy, productive lives. They aim to prevent child abuse and neglect, youth substance abuse and violence, and to support school success through community change and capacity building efforts.
WIC is for pregnant women, new and breastfeeding moms, and children under 5 years of age. WIC helps improve the health of mothers and children through:
- Nutrition education
- Breastfeeding support
- Monthly check for healthy food
- Health screenings and refferals
Whatcom County Health Department's CYSHCN staff works with community partners to improve the local system of care for children and youth with special needs. Their collective aim is that each family experiences coordinated family-centered care and support, regardless of their point of entry. Services provided directly by Health Department staff are conducted as part of Whatcom Taking Action.
Rebound works with families who are trying to recover and rebuild after experiencing the devastating effects of trauma.
- Roots Family Enrichment Program offers classes for families that are facing difficult life circumstances and parents looking to develop family building skills.
- Ray of Hope Summer Day Program is a 5 week summer day programs that offers arts & crafts, recreation, filed trips, and artistic enrichment.